Saturday Morning Breakfast in Bed

This morning I was in the mood to make one of all my time favorite foods, khagina. Khagina is the Pakistani version of scrambled eggs. Similar to shakshouka and menemen, it's made with red onions, ripe tomatoes and a long list of aromatic spices. Despite being made with eggs, khagina isn't strictly classified as a breakfast food. It's eaten just as commonly for dinner as it is for breakfast. I make if frequently for dinner myself since it takes such a short time to make and requires simple ingredients that I always have on hand. This dish also holds a special place in heart for another reason as well. During my last semester at Smith I would go home every weekend to visit my parents. I would make khagina for breakfast every weekend while my mom made chai and parhatas. When our breakfast was ready we would sit at the dining table eating, chatting and sipping our hot tea with morning light pouring through the window. Those are some of my best memories. Today I recreated the same breakfast with my husband minus the tea since he's not a fan (I'm still working on changing that!) Instead I served it with warm (store bought) parhatas, Concord grapes and fresh orange juice in Turkish dishes. The light this morning was beautiful. I haven't edited these pictures at all because the natural tones were so beautiful. Since we were worried about getting good on our white sheets we ate at the table but the setting did make for a nice photo at least!





If you want to recreate this delicious dish in your kitchen here's what you'll need: 

3 - 4 large eggs 
1 medium sliced onion finely chopped 
1 medium tomato chopped 
Salt to taste 
Chili powder to taste 
Coriander powder to taste 
Cumin powder to taste 
4 tablespoons of cooking oil of your choice 
Coriander leaves and chilies for garnish 

Process 
Heat oil in a medium sized frying pan 
Fry onions until golden brown 
Add tomatoes and fry until they soften and begin to mix with the onions (thee mixture should become slightly jam-like) 
Add spices and mix well 
Add eggs one by one and scramble 
Garnish with coriander and chilies


CONVERSATION

12 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and look delicious. Thanks for sharing that Pakistani staple for breakfast.

    Eye See Euphoria |http://www.eyeseeeuphoria.com/post/an-eye-for-an-eye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! x http://thefervour.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the first time I visit your blog and like it very much. I would love to have that breakfast! It looks delicious!

    www.spring2spring.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you like it! Thank you for the kind words :)

      Delete
  4. Looks wonderful! I'll try it out <3 Thank you!
    xo xo
    Marina
    http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/2015/09/black-n-white-kitty-diy-cat-ears.html
    http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know you will love it! It's a never fail dish :)

      Delete

Back
to top